Your success as a leader goes beyond having a leadership title, it includes developing the right competence and skills. There are basic competence that must be mastered before success could be sustained in any leadership position.
- Inter Unit Collaboration: Your ability to collaborate effectively beyond your unit would go a long way in helping you sustain success in position of leadership. There are instances in which some leaders might be timid or shy to build the needed networks to sustain their success in position of leadership. They couldn’t really develop inter unit collaboration, they couldn’t develop inter organizational collaboration and gradually, they erode their success in position of leadership.
- Motivating And Inspiring: Another factor for sustaining leadership position lies in your ability to motivate and inspires your team. Majority of employees admires leaders who inspires and motivates them. In instances, where a leader fails the competence required in motivation and inspiring his or her followers, he would by default gradually lose the impact of his or her leadership either consciously or unconsciously.
- Seeking Support For Idea: Another area you want to explore toward sustaining leadership success is in your ability to seek support for ideas that could grow your department and by extension your organization. Surprisingly, some in leadership position rarely ask questions from their subordinates, on ideas that could contribute to their success either on the short or long term. Thus, they couldn’t leverage on their workforce or team toward the success of their leadership and by extension their organizational growth.
- Providing Strategic Direction: It is important to lead strategically in position of leadership. This entails giving attention to the end result of decisions you make. You want to make decisions that would benefit your team not only immediately but right into the future. This might involve factoring the short-term advantages, disadvantages, and long term advantages, disadvantages.
- Influence Without Authority: Another area worthy of competence is how you mapp your values on your subordinates. There are instances where the use of authority causes more havoc than the use of influence. It is important to develop the competence in areas of influence than the use of authority.
- Decision Making Under Uncertainty: Another area worthy of attention is in the area of making snappy decision. There are instances in which your leadership position would require you make a huge decision on behalf of your team or organization within a short time, and you really do not want to wait till those period before highlighting the key factors that would serve as key for making snappy decisions. (Give example of some of those factors.)