Building A Great Team.
Building a great team either within a family or organization requires that we understand what needs to be done and what needs to be avoided.
Being a team player is indeed a great asset, which often is taken for granted. When dealing with a team, It is important to watch out for the following 5 points which are important to avoid team breakdown.
- Avoid Complains
- Avoid Condemnation
- Avoid Criticism
- Give Real And Genuine Appreciation
- Understand What Others Want
- Avoid Complains: To grow a team successfully, it is important that complaining should be avoided as much as possible. Rather than complaining, Its often best to ask questions so as to understand the rationale behind your team members actions and decisions. Oftentimes, we complain about things we know little or nothing about. We tend to express our judgement by complaining rather than examine things from the other party’s perspective objectively. There had been instances in which a member of a team complains about a task or situation, and escalates such matters without having detailed firsthand information, only to realize that his actions which are tailored toward complaints had been based on erroneous perception, which thus robbed off on the unity and success of the team.
- Avoid Condemnation: Another killer of a great team is condemnation. When you condemn others, you have by default wounded their pride, hurt their sense of importance and by extension place a label on them. Even when there are 99% reasons to condemn, it is often best to leverage on the observed 1% reasons for commendation. Commendation strengthens your team, but Condemnation tears up a team. Sometimes, it’s often of human nature to condemn what they do not understand, and rather than condemnation, it would be beneficial to explore gaining understanding of what you do not know in detail, while simultaneously looking out for an opportunity to give commendation.
- Avoid Criticism: Major factor that hinders team growth is criticism. If you want to build a great team, you must avoid criticism at all cost, as it is known to breed resentment and fosters hatred among team members, especially when it is harshly conveyed. Rather than criticism in relation to any task, you want to look out for areas of the task that is worthy of appraisal, and thus acknowledge every effort your team member had put into the task, before highlighting areas that might require more of his or attention.
- Give Real And Genuine Appreciation: If your objective is to grow a successful team, you must learn how best to show genuine appreciation that goes beyond any form of flattering. A team thrive on real and genuine appreciation, thus you want to ensure every contribution of your team members is noticed and appreciated. One thing i have found to be very useful in this regard is the importance of using the term “Thank You” at every opportunity in dealing with your team. This would by default make them known that they are valued and important as a member of your team.
- Understand What Others Want:It is important to understand what your team members want or desire, so as to be able to contribute to their success within your team. When you do not know or understand what your team members want in even minute matters, it might be difficult to help them contribute to the team in an optimal approach. It wouldn’t be out of place to ask what your team members would need or want, so as to offer his best to the team’s success.